Important Tips to Select Comfortable Bed Wetting Sheets for Seniors
There are many waterproof products available in today’s market to keep mattresses clean, dry and comfortable. These products are not just used as bed wetting sheets, but are mainly aimed at protecting the mattress from damage and reduce the laundry load. These waterproof bedding sheets are great for those who suffer from incontinence as it protects expensive bedding and provide comfortable sleeping environment. By using protective bedding sheets, you can significantly extend the mattress life. No matter whether you are trying to protect it from bed wetting, dust mites, or bed bugs, these sheets help to keep your mattress in top condition.
Bed wetting sheets provide moisture protection as well as absorbency. There are so many types available in mattress sheets; they are all super absorbent, have a comfortable top, and fight against bacteria to prevent odor and stains. These sheets have a built-in layer that prevents the liquid or moisture from flowing to the mattress through the sheet. Most common waterproofing sheets include vinyl mattress protection, mattress overlays and breathable covers. These washable sheets are either flat or tuck in sides to keep the padding in place. Also, these sheets are easy to remove and clean without stripping the entire bed.
How to Select Comfortable Bed Wetting Sheets
With so many varieties available in the market, choosing bed wetting sheets can be overwhelming. So, following are some of the features you should look for when buying bedding sheets:
- Absorbency: Elder people produce more urine when compared to children, so it is important to check the volume of fluid your sheet can hold. Some sheets can hold up to 6 cups of fluid. Absorbency depends on the thickness and number of layers. So, if you want more absorbency, go for thick sheets with more number of layers. These sheets provide moisture protection along with the absorbency.
- Cover-ability: Ask yourself a question; Do you want the bed wetting sheets to cover only some part of your mattress or encasement for all sides and bottom? If you need these sheets only for bed wetting problem, then only a mattress pad or overlay will get the job done for you. However, you may require encasement if you want protection from dust and bed bug too.
- Breathable waterproof layer: Breathable bedding sheets are most comfortable. Breath ability depends on the material of the sheet; Urethane covers are breathable and comfortable because they allow heat transfer, while vinyl does
- Ease of cleaning: Vinyl bed wetting sheets can be easily wiped and cleanend with soap and water, while polyurethane sheets need to be machine washed and dried, it takes several cycles to dry thoroughly.
- Small pad on top: You can go for sheets with small pad on top, it will prevent the wetness and reduces the laundry burden. These are usually used in addition to waterproof mattress protection.
- Flat sheet or tuck-in: Flat sheets can be removed easily without disturbing the mattress, whereas tuck-in overlays have fabric on both the sides, slipping off the sheets due to movements.
- Material consideration: Polyurethane bed wetting sheets are perfect for warmer climates as it allows heat transfer. Else, you can go with vinyl, because it is more economical. So, it is better to consider the climate in your location before choosing one.
- Frequency of Changing: Sheets with encasement needs assistance to get in place, whereas flat sheets are easy to remove and replace.
Selection of perfect bed wetting sheets basically depends on the personal needs and convenience. So, consider all the above-mentioned factors and get the sheets that suits your bedding needs the most.